Sunday, July 8, 2012

21. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie




The story was definitely not hard to follow.  I did feel a little goofy at various parts.  Totally unrealistic but a good read.

1. Discuss the narrative techniques that Christie uses to create and maintain suspense throughout the novel.  One technique she used that I liked a lot is she got into the head of the characters and allowed us to hear what they were thinking.  I liked that very much.  Also, it's not just a long narrative she has little pauses in the narrative so that the reader can catch their breath.  The foreshadowing of Blore on the train I've seen that technique in other stories.  I call them little nuggets that keep the reader interested.

2. Discuss the role of the poem “Ten Little Indians” in And Then There Were None. Why does the murderer choose to follow the poem so closely? What effect does this have on the characters?   I think the "Ten Little Indians" just added a little flavor to Judge Wargrave's brand of murderous justice.  It made the character more weary and afraid.

3. Do you think that Wargrave acts justly? Why or why not?  I'm a believer in two wrongs don't make a right.  I think its good that Wargrave didn't take out his murderous lust on innocent people. But acting as an self-imposed executor is going to far.  On the other hand, I think society definitely didn't lose any Mother Teresa's with the killing of this bunch.  So to sum it up in the words of Chris Rock:  It's not right but I understand.  





No comments:

Post a Comment